Friday 23 March 2012

The Power of Literature

Some people see reading as boring. A chore. A waste of time. I believe in the antithesis. Reading has the power to educate, illuminate and excite. It can teach people lessons and morals without them even realising. There is something for everyone inviting us to let our imaginations run wild. Books can stay with you for a long time providing an escape to another world from the stresses of everyday life. I have always loved reading and can rely on books to cheer me up, taking me away from the stress of university work. I recently encountered a wonderful charity, The Reader Organisation who aim to bring about a reading revolution. The organisation have numerous 'get into reading' projects across the world, in which they bring reading aloud into hospitals, schools, mental health centres and various other locations.  Their ethos and philosophy sets out to:

"...promote reading literature as a vital life skill, to give everyone the confidence and ability to find pleasure in reading to bring attention to the power of reading in contributing to personal and social wellbeing."
Everything about their mission is positive, using reading to bring about happiness. Visit their website to learn even more about the reading revolution and their phenomenal projects involving reading aloud: The Reader Organisation


Their passion about the power of books led me share a few of my favourite books. They aren't necessarily all classics but they are all captivating in a different way.

1: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

For me there has never been a book that beats this. I studied it at GCSE and so often studying a book in such depth can ruin it. Certainly not in this case. Lee creates the greatest fictional hero in Atticus Finch, a man with some of the wisest words ever spoken. Set in the segregated Deep South of the USA, Atticus defends a black man accused of rape. He raises his children Jem and Scout who are intrigued by the mysterious figure of their neighbour, Boo Radley. This novel shows one man's bravery to go against the norm, who shows you "Courage is not a man with a gun in his hand". Lee perfects the innocence of childhood as the whole story is told through the eyes of 6 year old, Scout Finch and delivers one of my favourite lines in literature:

I don't want to give away anymore if you haven't read this book. If you haven't read it, go out and get it. Full of morals, laughter and emotion, this is literature at its finest.

2. Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer

I bought this book from a charity shop as I heard someone say it was very good. It sat on my shelf in my room untouched whilst I read other books. One day I noticed it was missing and it turns out my friend had taken it. This friend isn't one known for reading but he picked this book up and was engrossed. Archer is a wonderful storyteller flitting between the stories of two men, William Kane and Abel Rosnovksi. Both men lead separate lives but their paths cross various times. Captivating throughout, full of interesting historic events such as the Great Depression and World War Two, this was one of those books that I couldn't put down.

3. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

I know turn my attention to teen fiction. People may judge simply because it is aimed at young adults but The Hunger Games trilogy is one of my favourite series I ever read. Suzanne Collins creates a hellish dystopian North America where 24 teenagers are placed in an arena and have to fight it out to the death. Full of believable characters, a love triangle and various inventions such as Mockingjays and Tracker Jackers. These books are exhilarating. What's around the next corner? Who becomes the victor? Not many of my I know have read this series and now it has been made into a brilliant film. Pick them up. You'll read them in no time.

4. The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I am big fan of novels about the Deep South and I actually saw the film of 'The Help' before I'd read the book. Both are exceptional. The novel by Kathryn Stockett tells the story of a young female, white journalist who forms a friendship with two black maids. Together, the three of them collate the stories of the maids working for white households. The books reveal the dreadful attitude of some white women in segregated America but display the change that can be created through the courage of just a few individuals.


5. Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling

Who hasn't heard of Harry Potter? These books and subsequent films have become a worldwide phenomenon and I even studied the world's first ever Harry Potter module at Durham University. They are full of important life lessons and morals. You can't learn everything in Harry Potter but these books are rich with friendship, courage, loyalty, family and humour. Not only do people read for pleasure but these themes educate and illuminate important issues in a more exciting way than being taught explicitly. Rowling has created a timeless series that  through the Wizarding world will always delight its readers.


These are just a small selection of my favourite books. Nonetheless, they all offer a way to escape, abundant with loveable characters, exciting or heartwarming plots but also have ability to educate. Try any of them, I would be surprised if you don't find one that you like.

"There is no friend as loyal as a book"
Ernest Hemingway

No comments:

Post a Comment