Thursday 1 March 2012

Modern Family- Should it be bigger in the UK?

Every now and again I get an urge to buy a new TV series box set and this Autumn I decided to buy a series that seemed to be winning lots of awards in the USA. Modern Family. A decision I certainly don't regret.  Centred round a somewhat dysfunctional American family, this mockumentary is always on hand to cheer me up, with its brilliant script and perfectly cast actors.
Mitchell: "When I was 12-years-old my father walked into my bedroom and caught me doing the most embarrassing thing that a boy can do: dancing to Madonna's 'Lucky Star."
The series follows three separate households but they are all related in some way. One household belongs to Jay, his new wife, Gloria and Gloria's son, Manny. The second home includes Claire who is Jay's daughter, her husband Phil and their three kids, Haley, Alex and Luke. The final part of this family tree belongs to Jay's son and Claire's brother Mitchell and his partner Cam. While this may all see a little complicated it lends itself to misunderstandings, tensions and laughter in bucketfuls.

http://www.tv3.co.nz/


The series isn't particularly rude and thrives on the different relationships in modern society, For instance, the idea of having a step-dad and gay adoption, this show is certainly different and that's what makes it so fresh and funny.
Phil: "Act like a parent, talk like a peer. I call it 'peerenting"
Created by Christopher Lloyd and Stephen Levitan, I'd describe the mockumentary as a series of episodic farces whilst always retaining an important message, ranging from honesty and trust, to forgiveness and respect. Casting for the series couldn't be more perfect, Sofia Vergara, as Gloria, is one of my favourite TV characters ever, with her thick Colombian accent, almost everything she says you want to laugh at. The incredibly camp, Cameron, played by straight Eric Stonestreet is hilarious, whether dressing up his Vietnamese adopted toddler as Diana Ross or donning his Fizbo the Clown costume. I can't really fault this series, there isn't a weak link in the casting and every episode manages to easily raise several laughs.
Alex: "Dad we haven't had lunch yet.
Phil: Neither have half the kids in Africa, Stop yappin' and get back to work "
Despite it's success in the United States, winning various Emmys and supposedly being Barack Obama's favourite show on the television, very few people I've spoken to have heard of it. Subsequently, most days, after working hours in the library, my friends and I sit down and watch a couple of episodes because we it will always cheer us up. It's a real shame Modern Family isn't bigger in the UK and I'd suggest this is primarily due to it where it is shown, Sky One. I am of no doubt the service Sky provide is phenomenal but it is a shame that Modern Family isn't accessible to everyone on either BBC, ITV or Channel 4. This show is very hard not to like and for me I find it funnier than other American series, "30 Rock", "The Big Bang Theory" and "How I Met Your Mother". Nonetheless, it is clear Sky have a lot of money, as they brought in the popular series, "Glee" but these brilliant series aren't as accessible for everyone. Now I am not sure if the mainstream channels even tried to air Modern Family but a show that has seen such critical success coupled with high viewing figures would surely be attractive to British TV companies.

Haley: "She had to take Alex to the oncologist... She needed new glasses."

Simply put, it is a shame Modern Family isn't bigger in the UK perhaps it needs a more accessible platform than Sky One but they've got the bucks. So if you don't have Sky One, go out and buy the box set, it is totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment