Monday 27 February 2012

And the winner is...

I watching the Review Show on the BBC the other day, on which they were discussing those films nominated for Academy Awards. There was a consensus among the panel that the Best Film list was rather weak and in fact 2011 hadn't been the best year for films. Personally, I don't agree with this, for me it provided an eclectic mix of comedy, drama and thrillers. If a movie isn't nominated for numerous awards it doesn't mean it is a bad film, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

The Artist

This film really does stand out, making 2011 the year the silent movie came back and charmed us all. At first I was incredibly hesitant to go, sitting for such a long time in silence and wondering how it could keep my attention.  However, it was miles better than I could have ever imagined. Not once was I bored or looked at my watch. The actors were phenomenal, to show the emotion and keep the interest of the audience throughout the whole film was unbelievable. Jean Dujardin was certainly a worthy winner in the best actor category, and his sidekick Uggie the dog provided the perfect and cutest companion. The film had the ability to make one laugh and cry but was also beautifully shot, captivating 1920's and 1930's Hollywood perfectly. The score was also perfect but it needed to be in a film when the actors didn't speak, I felt like I was transported back to Hollywood's golden era. I'm not going to complain that it won the Academy Award for Best Film because it deserved to. It was silent but captivating. It was funny but sad. It was different.


The Help

It was the middle of August, I was in the USA and fancied going to the cinema. What was on? Well not a lot that interested me, however during my travels earlier in the summer in Cambodia my friend recommended reading "The Help". I saw that they had adapted the book into a movie so we took a chance a booked some tickets. I had no idea what it was about, who was in it and whether I'd like it. Personally, this is the best film I've ever "accidentally" seen. I am a huge fan of the stories of the Deep South, so was immediately grabbed, Jackson Mississippi was captured wonderfully and at the same time it was scary to think that it wasn't that long ago. No film has made me flit between laughter and tears than this. A member of the BBC's review show suggested that this film was slow paced but I feel this captures the drudgery of the hot, sticky Mississipi environment. Life moves at slow place, the black maid's relentlessly helping white owners. The film was about courage and friendship, all of it in abundance. For those who don't know the film, it is about a white local journalist (Skeeter Pheelan), and two Black maids (Aibileen and Minny), whom attempt to create a book documenting the experiences of the black help and their relationship to their white employers. A horrible time in American history but also empowering at the same time, seeing people standing up for equality.

 Emma Stone's performance of Skeeter, showed a woman with a passion for equality, and this juxtaposed next to the poisonous character of Hilly Holbrook, really allowed one to see the difference between right and wrong. 




Nonetheless, it was the performances of Viola Davis as Aibileen and Octavia Spencer as Minny, that provided the film with its greatest moments. These two women captured the fear of being caught but also the courage to make a difference. One scene that really sticks out in my mind is when Minny takes Aibileen to church and as they both walk in everyone starts clapping them. Aibileen claps with them and asks "Who are we clapping for? ", Minny replies "We are clapping for you". This was a definite goosebumps moment. Although I have not seen Meryl Streep's performance in "The Iron Lady", I certainly feel Viola Davis' portrayal of Aibileen would have been a worthy Best Actress winner. Her co-star Octavia Davis thoroughly deserved her award though, adding a fantastic humour to the film, both with her deliverance of what she says but also through her facial expressions.

I enjoyed this film so much, I went to see it at the cinema twice. It yet again didn't disappoint. I then read the book, that also didn't disappoint. So often films that have been adapted from novels fall so short. Nonetheless, I feel the adaption of Kathryn Stockett's brilliant book worked extremely well and cannot wait for the 18th March when the DVD is released. This film can appeal to everyone, it is full of laughter and tears, has the ability to educate on history and morals. If you haven't seen it, do. It's hard not to like.

No comments:

Post a Comment